Ever feel like you’re slipping? Like you need to dig in your heels to stop the downward slide?
Do you ever get tired of taking meds, maintaining a regimen or constantly having to decipher what your body is trying to tell you?
Some days I just want to forget illness exists and go about life the way I want to. But I never get away with it for too long.
Soon I notice the slipping. I’ll miss a few doses of meds. I won’t get near enough sleep or exercise and I’ll realize I’ve had way too much sugar. (Oh, sugar, why must you torture me?)
When we go through times where we feel like we’re losing our grip it’s good to go back to basics.
There are certain things we should determine as our daily non-negotiables. The things we make sure we do each day no. matter. what.
Here are a few things you might want to put on your list:
- Feed your soul. We can live without food for weeks. We can live without water or sleep for days. But your soul? Your soul needs daily nourishment. Spending a few minutes in God’s word and in prayer will keep you grounded and connected.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep. I say “at least” because that’s going to vary from person to person. It might even vary according to your symptom flares. Think about how your body feels at the moment and be sure you’re getting enough ZZZZZs. Start getting your body ready an hour or so before you hit the sheets. Try reading, taking a warm bath or listening to soft music to help calm your body and mind.
- Take your meds & supplements. You would think this is a no-brainer, but on your worst days, it’s easy to miss a dose here and there. Maybe you never miss a dose of your prescription meds but, on your worst days, supplements seem like too much work. Slacking in this area will only make things worse.
- Move your body. Take a few minutes for gentle stretching. If you’re up to it, take a walk outside to soak in some Vitamin D. Do something that will get your body going and your blood, muscles and lymph system moving.
- Do something you enjoy. Whether it’s reading, watching a comedy on Netflix or a simple craft – do something each day that brings you pleasure. Remember this isn’t selfish – it’s self-care!
- Connect with another person. It’s so easy to become reclusive when you’re ill but we were designed for community. Our overall health is directly affected when we don’t engage with others. If you aren’t up to a long chat on the phone, take a minute to text someone.
- Nourish your body. Grabbing quick, processed foods seems like the only option at times. Try to have a meal in the freezer or smoothie and green juice ingredients on hand so you can grab quick nutrition for your cells. Be sure to drink enough water. Our bodies are made up of at least 60% water. Make sure you’re providing your system with this key component.
- Practice gratitude. Taking a few moments to be thankful is important to your physical, mental and spiritual well-being. This simple daily practice can reduce stress hormones and boost your immunity. It’s also a way to remind yourself that God hasn’t forgotten about you but has placed people and things in your life as a way of showing His love.
What about you? Do you have a list of non-negotiables? What do you do each day, without fail, to stay as healthy as possible?
Don’t click away already! Really, I want to know! Leave me a comment below with your non-negotiable list!